Went to a show tonight and it was fun (for the most part) so why not blog about it?
The first band was called The Yeomen. They were from Ithaca College, I think. They started their set off sucky, but got a bit better. The crowd sucked, drunk people that I wanted to punch, etc. One guy was yelling “Free Bird!” over and over, and he later stepped on the vocalist’s laptop. He was pissed. So yeah, insert me ranting about alcohol usage at shows here.
Next was Modern Hut, a.k.a. Joe from For Science, in the form of a depressed, apathetic, melancholy alcoholic who no one listens to while he sings For Science songs at a tempo of metronome marking 40 with a volume of ppp. He doesn’t move, isn’t audible, and stares at the ground, and says “This is Modern Hut” between every song. But I still love him because For Science was one of the bands that got me started on punk music in general. But he is a bit of a wash-up and it makes me a bit sad.
Next up was The Clippers, but I’m gonna talk about The Jeans first. They were all the IC assholes from Tropical Punk, Music Band, and Pharaohs, put together in a perfect asshole concoction. Maybe that’s a bit harsh, but that’s the vibe I get from a bunch of them. Their songs are all simple and about partying and invite drunk people to act stupid, which is pretty much a major reason why I dislike them. Anyway.
The Clippers were amazing. Short set, but great. Talked to them afterward about My Heart To Joy & The World Is, New Haven, Mitch, booking shows, and I hope they can come back next year. Bought a shirt and their split with Coping which rules.
YEAH! Fuck drinking at shows.
This one is a mix I made to sum up this school year. It contains songs by bands I saw and songs I just listened to a lot throughout the year.
1. The Lawrence Arms - Spit Shining Shit
2. Buke & Gass - Your Face Left Before You
3. Laura Stevenson And The Cans - Mouthbreather
4. Kylesa - Spiral Shadow
5. Iron Chic - Time Keeps Slipping Into The (Cosmic) Future
6. The Number Twelve Looks Like You - Given Life
7. Midi & The Modern Dance - Everything I Touch (Just Falls Apart)
8. Screaming Females - Laura And Marty
9. Hot Cross - Turncoat Revolution
10. Pygmy Lush - Asphalt
11. Shift - Sunflower
12. Bridge And Tunnel - Call To The Comptroller’s Office
13. Hostage Calm - Where The Waters Call Home
14. Des Ark - No More Fighting Cats, OK?
15. The Menzingers - Lillith Avi
16. Into Another - Underlord
17. For Science - Swimming Around, Fighting Frowns
18. Kites In Space - Walk It Off
19. Snowing - Why Am I Not Going Underwater?
20. Call It Arson - Hoopin’ & Humpin’
Emerson Power Transmission - Ithaca, NY
This place is abandoned. I began to explore it last weekend. It’s across the street from Ithaca College. I’m going in this place by the end of the year. Who’s with me?
With The Jeans and The Yeomen, both of which I have no idea who they are, and Modern Hut (ex-For Science) which rules. And this show is FREE.
So, ATTENTION GRACE AND ALLY! Let’z go.
Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I missed this fantastic show back in Ithaca.